Synthesis - Week 1 Submission - Programmer

Synthesis - Week 1 Submission - Programmer

Postby Synthesis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 am

To be honest, I think this project is a mess. Note that I am using C++ and my current level of experience is: beginner.
However I am happy that I have done it since this is my first time using classes and I have learned a lot. There are still some bugs and missing features due to lack of time. For example: if the player inputs a choice that is invalid, the game doesn't let the player know that and continues running the script. I have attached the source code and a compiled version. I have also included a sample script.txt file just to see how it works if you haven't understood the readme.txt

Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I know it lacks an inventory system and a combat system. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synthesis

Profession:: Programmer

Re: Synthesis - Week 1 Submission - Programmer

Postby russ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 am

I like the way you did it with the scripting engine. That was pretty cool! Unfortunately, I'm on a mac and cannot run it. :(

Criticism:
My C++ isn''t my strongest language, but the concept behind your idea was more than solid. There were a few errors, and it lacked a few features (had more than mine though), but those can be fixed with time. All together, I think your project was really quite well done.
russ

Postby Tyler (TJ) » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 am

Thank you for making it an exe. for me Synthesis, it made it much easier to check out. The multiple rooms you made was nice to test some features without completing the game. It looks like you added quite a bit of commands to the engine as well. I had trouble entering some commands though. Maybe you should look into simplifying some of the commands if you are going to be adding more too. For example, I just did a simple version of this as well a few weeks before the project started and the commands were just 1 word keywords. Like move east. pickup <object>, etc. I hope this was helpful and again nice job! I look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future.
Tyler (TJ)

Postby Synthesis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Thank you both!

@russ Sorry :) The thought of making the engine cross-platform had crossed my mind at first but in the end I decided to make it Windows-only. That's because on other platforms I do not know how to deal with things like clearing the screen or setting the text color. On Windows I use system() from <Windows.h>, and yes, I know many people say that system() is evil but I think it's alright for a small text-based game engine. Also making an application cross-platform adds another layer of complexity, in my opinion, something I'm not looking for since I'm just a beginner.

@Tyler I will definitely take into account your observation. A friend of mine has also suggested that I simplify those commands and their descriptions since he wasn't able to understand many of them. :D
Synthesis

Return to Programmers