2d top-down rpg game idea

2d top-down rpg game idea

Postby Landshark » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Hey all,

I haven't put a whole ton of thought into this idea yet, but I would like to start programming a text-MUD like game client/engine using C# and eventually convert it into something that is 2d graphical, I'm thinking a top-down rpg.

Mostly this project is to see just how much I know about C# and to see how far into a game project like this I could go. I'm not expecting a marketable product at the end, but who knows.

I've got some ideas on how to write the game engine and wanted to start it off as a text-based MUD game, (i.e. no graphics to start with). Once I feel confident with the game engine I'd like to turn it into something 2d/top-down graphical, something simple like a tile based movement system, but real-time gameplay. I figured this might work well, seeing as how most text-based MUD's have 'room' based movement, this might translate well into a 'tile' based movement game with graphics.

Here's an example of the type of game I'm thinking about: "Odyssey Classic" - A game I use to play a good 15 years ago. :)
http://odysseyclassic.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=67

I don't plan on starting this project for at least a couple of weeks from now, but wanted to toss this out there early for visibility and I also know there are other group projects going on right now, so didn't want to overlap anything.

Feel free to post here if you are interested in working together on this.
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Will answer to "Grey Bush" on occasion.
Landshark

Profession:: Programmer

Re: 2d top-down rpg game idea

Postby russ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm interested, however, I'm currently working on a project with Samneriod, we'll see if we can finish this in time for your idea. Oh, and sorry for the late reply, I was away from computers for several days.
russ

Postby Landshark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks Russ, I know the boards have been slow, hopefully we'll get some more activity in here eventually.

My Wife and I just had a baby girl, our first child. :) So it's been busy! I'm going to start putting together the game engine here somewhat soon. I'll update this post as I make progress, although it'll be slow updates at first.
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Landshark

Postby russ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 am

No problem, I'm trying to direct my friends here as well. Traffic will eventually pick up.
russ

Postby Landshark » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 am

I know these forums are just about dead, but I wanted to post up my progress.

I've started work on what I'm currently calling the "Shark Game Engine", for lack of a better name.

Initially I was going to make it all text/console based, but I've decided to go with a Windows Form program instead using C#.

The game engine itself will be pretty basic to begin with as I learn things along the way. It will be focused on a graphical version of a Text MUD and may later transform into something else, with an emphasis on RPG gameplay.

The menu's will be using Windows Forms and the game screen will probably be a split-screen, half being informational (like inventory/commands) and the other half being the visible/graphical game screen.

Main Components of the Shark Game Engine

Main Menu
The Main Menu will have basic options, including "New Character", "Existing Character" and "Help".

1) New Character - choosing this option will open up the new character creation screen and will walk the user through creating a new character (with stuff like character stats, name, race, class, sex, etc)

2) Existing Character - choosing this option will bring up a list of existing characters previously created and allow the user to choose one of these characters. This is basically a 'load game' function.

3) Help - choosing this option will display a menu showing basic information about the game and a short 'getting started' bit of info.

Rooms
This portion of the game engine will allow for the creation of rooms or 'tiles' that the player will be using as their environment. These rooms will be created and storing data such as, description of the room, exits out of the room, location compared to other rooms, a unique ID, and the biome type (rainy, windy, cold, indoors, outdoors, mountains, etc).

The Rooms part of the game engine will be evolving as it eases into allowing for 2d gameplay, depending on what kind of 2d gameplay I want it to support (free movement or tile-by-tile?).

NPC
The NPC portion of the game engine will contain all the information about Non-Player Characters which includes everyone that isn't the player (all animals, all monsters, all computer controlled people, etc). The basics of an NPC will contain the properties of Stats, Description, AI Type (friendly villager or angry villager? Wanderer? Stays in one place? Shopkeeper? etc), NPC Type (is this NPC a monster? an companion or ally?), and a Unique ID (once an instance of an NPC has been created).

If you removed the AI part out of the NPC then you could think of an NPC has a blueprint for a person/animal/etc that has no personality and doesn't know what to do. When you add in the AI then it knows what to do and how to act.

AI
The AI portion of the game engine will handle the types of artificial intelligence available to be used and attached to each NPC. The AI types will be categorized, but also overlap in many areas. This will be how the NPC's act on their own, including how they react to the players presence and also how they react to the presence of other NPC's. The categories will include such things as Animal, Monster, Villager, Hostile, Friendly, Neutral, Fast, Slow, Shopkeeper, etc.

Some other topics I haven't fully looked at yet include:

-Player interaction through menu's (like talking with NPC's and buying stuff from shopkeepers, etc)
-Player Actions (such as movement, picking up items off the ground, etc)
-Weather and Elements (I'd like to include at least biome/weather affects on the players health/stats, which would lead to stuff like the player standing in fire would cause them to lose health, etc).

Of course there's a ton more I haven't included in this post, but I've got a start.

I may be overstepping the boundaries of 'game engine', so things may scale up/down depending on how detailed I want to get with each portion of the game engine.
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Landshark

Return to Group Projects