Introductions

Introductions

Postby Landshark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am

Hello everyone!

As you can see we moved to a new site. This will be the permanent home for GameDev4Beginners from here on out.

My name is Scott. I'm a beginner C# programmer and looking forward to working with other beginners here as well. I'm 31 and married. My Wife is 8 months pregnant with our first child and it's very exciting! I live near Seattle, WA, USA with my Wife and our dog (a boston terrier). If I'm ever on skype and you hear a ruckus in the background, that's probably my dog going crazy.

Anyway, I'm a big-time gamer and I believe I'm one of the oldest members so far, but I assure you (and my Wife would concur) that my maturity level is far below my age. :) I play just about anything, from PC games, console, handheld, smartphone, etc. I like to think of myself as an evenly-distributed gamer, having played text/mudd games, point-and-click story adventures, hardcore FPS action games, RPG's, MMO's, puzzlers, etc.

In regards to programming, I am focusing on C# at the moment and am learning how to create Windows Phone apps as well. As of this writing I'm in my 3rd week of a beginner C# class and fairly deep in a C# book ("Head First C#"). I've watched/followed numerous tutorials on C# as well. Basically I'm trying to jump in as best I can at learning C#. I have dabbled with javascript and python in the past, but never beyond the most basic level. However, I do have a firm grasp of XML/XAML, and a long history with SQL.

I don't have any experience working on team projects with other developers/artists/etc, so I'm hoping to get that experience here on this website. I do, however, have a lot of experience in the game industry and in operations/program management. I've worked at Microsoft for about the last 6 years, the last couple of those years being with Xbox Live on Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA. My professional history (including and beyond Microsoft) has involved operations engineering, change/release management, and networking at a global scale (with Microsoft's global network). I don't know how much/if any of that will carry over into the world of development, but at least it gives you a background on my experience.
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Will answer to "Grey Bush" on occasion.
Landshark

Profession:: Programmer

Re: Introductions

Postby Aurioch » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 am

I could re-introduce here as well :)

My name is Josip and I'm from Zagreb, Croatia. Soon-to-be 22 year old student of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing. I live with father, little brother and 2 little sisters (age difference is 7-11-13 sis-bro-sis), with grandmother and grandfather being very close neighbours (read as: living under us).

I literally got born as a gamer. As I've been told, my mom was playing old DOS game Sokoban at the moment "I decided to get out"... and basically, since I know for myself I played video games. From pirated NES copies (Super Mario, Contra, Battle City, Pacman etc.), SNES (Super Mario All-Stars + World, Tetris Attack, Super Bomberman, Super Mario Kart etc.), Gameboy (Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario Land 2 to name the few), PC DOS (legends like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 1 demo, Sokoban, SimCity) over PS, GBA to PS2 and modern PC.
I'm a fan of Action JRPG games (currently playing Chantelise) and prefer RTS and MOBA games; but I'll play everything as long as it's good. If you're interested, you can hit me on Steam (DarkIron_Storm). Also an otaku.

I've started programming in 6th grade elementary school (for those who don't know, Croatia's elementary school is 8 year course) by accident - teacher shown a little QBasic to a friend which I happened to see while passing and I got curious. Year after, I switched to Visual Basic .NET and got delighted when I found out about XNA (actual version at that time was 2.0 iirc), so I played with it a little.
During 3rd grade of high school I painlessly switched to C# due to VB not getting much love from XNA. Some of my tests were shooting duck with mouse, some point-and-click board games (unfinished, driooed), moving box with barrel over the screen and Arkanoid (unfinished, on-hold). 70% of what I've learning about programming is self-taught.
I'm still using C# with XNA but I plan to transition to Monogame and Unity at some point and learn C and C++ like I should since C# can't do some things C++ can - and it's better if one knows more languages.

Why bolded parts? Currently I'm working on clone of Battle City which consumes most of my free time (I take a pause here and there to play a game or practice piano). I expect it to be finished in 4-5 weeks. Biggest problems right now are art and sound :/

Landshark, congratulations on getting a baby :D And wow, working at Microsoft, how was it? And can you tell me why teams, when porting XBox game to PC, don't replace XBox onscreen button instructions with PC buttons? XD
Aurioch

Postby BlackFeather » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am

Hi all,

I saw the classified on gamedev.net and i liked the idea of getting together in a beginner group where each can develop his skillset. My main focus is on learning 3d modelling, but i tend to be all over the place (short attention span :D ), so i figured joining a group like this could help me focused.
Guess i'll be the old bloke for now, almost hitting 40 (when did that happen ? :shock: ). I've pretty much given up on gaming nowadays, but i've had my fair share over the years.
Anyways, i'm curious to find out where this is going to lead us and looking forward to see what we come up with.
BlackFeather

Profession:: 3D Modeler

Postby RaulC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Again!

And Welcome BlackFeather!

i'm Raul, 28, from Portugal. My course is something like "Programming and IT System" (closest translation). And that's pretty much what i do.
Also into gaming (always) :P

I don't know a thing about Design/Artist Stuff/3D but hopefully i'll learn :)
I'm more of a "Setting Databases, Coding, making simple Interfaces" guy.

Going to make my 2nd post in Project Design Section, hope you enjoy :)

Cheers, keep it up!
Raul
Raul Cardoso - "Fail to Plan is Plan to Fail"
RaulC

Postby russ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 am

Hi, I've introduced myself on the other forums, but since those are going to be forgotten, I thought I'd re-introduce myself here. I'm in High School, and love to program and make games. Despite many (false) warnings that Java was not a good language to make games in, I kept with it. As a result, my C series languages are not my strong suit, but I'm quite strong in Java. Just one point of interest, am I the youngest on these forums? (15)
russ

Postby Reliable Source » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 am

Hello everyone, it's the Reliable Source. For now, I'm going to mainly be working on Lore and Story design, since no one seems to be doing it and I enjoy doing stuff like that... However, you can expect some code in the coming months, because I do know a bit (hoping to expand my knowledge greatly by the end of the year).
Reliable Source

Profession:: Other

Postby russ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

Hello Reliable Source, do I recognize you from H.SE?
russ

Postby PyroDragn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 am

Reliable Source wrote:Hello everyone, it's the Reliable Source. For now, I'm going to mainly be working on Lore and Story design, since no one seems to be doing it and I enjoy doing stuff like that... However, you can expect some code in the coming months, because I do know a bit (hoping to expand my knowledge greatly by the end of the year).

Woohoo! Another writer. I am doing a bit of that, but sort of "Jack of All Trades"-ing. My primary focus is going to be in Games Design, along with writing, then some programming. Nice to have you on board with us.
PyroDragn

Profession:: Project Designer

Postby Reliable Source » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

russ wrote:Hello Reliable Source, do I recognize you from H.SE?

Yes, you do. Unless I am mistaken. For those who wish to, check out viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7 where I've started on lore.
Reliable Source

Postby samreinod » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Hey guys, I will just copypaste what I wrote in the other forum for all the new members:
Hey Guys, im Samuel from Dresden in the eastern of Germany.

Im 16 so im appereantly still going to school, where i get most of my ideas from actually... The projects i did, where pretty different, from an RTS for tablets, to sidescrolling platformers and even a game where you learn how to write with 10 fingers. But as i said, I wasnt able to finish or even get my projects started right, cause I was always the only one who was into GameDev, so my motivation faded away. Another problem was, that I dont really have an idea how to code. I only got some basic knowledge and stuff but i never feeled like i had to keep on going cause I knew, that I wont be even able to come close to finish my projects.

About Gaming in generel: Its one of the if not even the biggest part in my life. Not just playing but more like interacting with the community, reading magazines, watching livestreams of different players and e-sport events. Its just the thing I love the most, besides my cat. (what a clichee :P)

Im here, cause I´m still extremly motivated to do what im so passionate about. As i said, im still in school and i will probably do my A-Level, but I want to start GameDev NOW and cant wait for my (hopefully) job after school.

Im really, really looking forward to do what I love in a group, and work with/ for you!

Just wanna ad smth.: personally and due to the lack of experience i think one of my biggest strenght in GameDev is, to judge thinks, think about the disadvantages and advantages of decisions. This is probably cause I always worked alone on my projects, so I had to discuss everything with myself and hat to find out what is the best for my game, what gives the player the best experience etc. I dont quite know if this would be called project designer or tester or whatever, just wanted to tell you at what im exspecially good at. :) But overall generel gameplay design and level design are the things I also love.

Sincerely, Samreinod.

PS: I really like the new forum, better than the last one!
samreinod

Profession:: Level Designer

Postby mistervirtue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am mistervirtue (or Jordan), I am college student in Arizona. I am studying Math and Computer Science and I really want to be a programmer. I am learning C# and C++ at the moment and I am super eager to get cracking on project. I am working with a classmate making an old-school SNES type game. My main reason I am joining this group is to interact with other aspiring programmers and to learn to code better.Let's get to it
mistervirtue

Postby Tobl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello everyone,

it seems that introductions are in order, so here goes:
I'm Tobl, a 20yo student of interaction design from germany. (In case your wondering: interaction design deals with user interfaces and other occasions where a person has to get along with a computer without shredding their brain into tiny pink flocks.)
As far as this forum goes, I'll be going for project and level design, seeing how those are what I'm hoping to have as my job one day. I can also code to a certain extent, but it seems that we're in good supply on that end (which is really nice to know).

I've been gaming since the times of the snes, however, I've always found designing levels and games to be more enjoyable than gaming itself. My first (rudimentary) gdd is actually from when I was around 5 or 6 years old, it being dictated to my mother. With a group of three, I've finished a snake-variant that teaches about color theory (the color part was an university assignment) and by myself, I'm currently developing a plattform-shooter that uses rgb-relations for game mechanics (this time, the color part is all my doing).
When I actually play games, it's a lot of games with level editor's plus a few RPGs, VNs and touhou (core play aesthetics for me are discovery and expression, then fantasy and narrative).

Also I'm addicted to parentheses
Tobl

Postby Landshark » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:32 am

Hello to the newcomers. It's great to see the list of members growing. This website will be evolving over time, but so far there has been a lot of enthusiasm. If you have Skype, feel free to add me (skype: slandshark), but let me know you are from this website. We have an active chat open 24/7 right now with a lot of activity.
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Will answer to "Grey Bush" on occasion.
Landshark

Postby Dt13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:42 am

Hello everyone, nice to meet all of you. My name is Daniel, I live in California. I am a business admin major and I am looking at the more business side of getting into making games. Finding it a bit tough. I don't know much about programming I tried teaching myself how to program as I have some ideas for making a game, but I have as of yet have not finished my training. I literally saw the post on gamedev just a couple days ago. Finally thought it a good idea to register.

I wouldn't mind learning from all of you guys to learn how to program enough to get my vision out there because I think that I can accomplish many things. As I know all of you can as well. The problem I have is that I'm not a natural in loving how to code, which is very hard for someone to create a game without knowing some coding. I am still looking for an engine for my games that I have rolling around in my brain.

I hope to learn a lot from all of you and maybe we can all collaborate on a project one day. Thanks for reading.
Dt13

Postby Alvaro » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 am

Hellow people!!

My name is Alvaro. Im a software enginner student from Madrid (Spain). Im also working as a web programer. But what i really would like to do is developing games. I love programming but my dream is to become a serius game developer. My skills are far from that now but that´s why Im here. Ive read some things here and in gamedev that make my think: what the hell lets do it :twisted: . So I would like to work with you all and learn together.

Ive learned C++ at University, im with Java now working on a board game for one of my subjets, Im also with OpenGL in Computer Graphics subject. (following NEHE examples and explanations, they are GREAT).

At work Im working on web apps, and doing that under .NET framework so I now a bit of C#, Visual Basic, Javascript.

So lets get on it.
Alvaro

Postby Tyler (TJ) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am

Welcome to the community Alvaro! We are still in our early development but if everything goes according to plan, we will have some awesome things going on very soon. I hope you enjoy your stay :)
Tyler (TJ)

Postby Pauson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi, I'm Pawel, a Materials Science and Engineering student from Poland, although currently in London. I just started making games couple of weeks ago and only made few of them. I'm currently learning Python and have some experience with C++, as well as with Blender.

I've noticed there is no section for sound/music. I guess I could help with that if it will be required.
Pauson

Postby athecondor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Hey I'm Connor, a 19-year-old English student from Ohio. Writing story and sore is a really exciting prospect though I'd like to look into spriting, game design and level design too. Right now I'm really interested in RPGs as a genre, playing the older Fallout games and trying out GURPS for the first time. Regardless of what projects are here though I'll be more than happy to work.

I was at the other site before the move; there's been a lot of momentum in such a short time! I really hope for the success of this community and our prospects working with it.
athecondor

Profession:: Story/Lore Creator

Postby Tyler (TJ) » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 pm

@Pawel, welcome to the community Pawel! Yea the sound/music note is a good point. I will look into that. I hope you enjoy your stay and we should be starting our projects up again by next monday or so. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

@Connor, welcome to the new site! Yes we have been growing very quickly, and we are really excited for the future. We have a lot of ambitious ideas and I feel we can really make them come true with some hard work :) Hope you guys enjoy!
Tyler (TJ)

Postby GrahamHammer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 am

Hello!

My name is Graham and I'm a 23 year old Computer Science major living in Utah and going to Brigham Young University. I decided to teach myself more about programming because I'm currently taking one of my first Computer Science classes and I got fed up with how slow it was going. It's one of the first times in my life I've wanted more homework. I have dreams of becoming a game developer, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I've started working with Unity and Blender. I'm trying to learn C# cause in my research I've seen that there's some stuff that's difficult to do with JavaScript, especially with Unity. I'm REALLY interested in programming and code, whereas graphics and design are... necessary haha. Hopefully I'll develop a passion for it.

Anyways, I'm really trying to become more involved in the gaming community, so I started a blog called "The Developing Student" http://www.developingstudent.blogspot.com where I talk about my struggles trying to learn all this stuff. Please check it out, as I've had like 6 page views and about 4 of them I'm pretty sure are me hahaha. Not sure how to advertise a blog, but oh well.

I'm really excited about having a space to talk about learning these difficult concepts with people that are going through the same thing. Thanks for setting this up!
GrahamHammer

Next

Return to Introductions