Challenge Week #2 is up!

The Challenges for Week #2. Deadline is 6pm CST: 16th February 2013

Challenge Week #2 is up!

Postby PyroDragn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 am

Right Guys, these are this week's challenges. Same as last time, feel free to submit to whichever groups take your fancy. You can participate in more than one category, or to them all if you like. Entries must be posted on the forum by 6PM CST on Saturday 16th February. These are planned to be individual pieces, however if you want to collaborate with other members then feel free to do so. I would encourage discussion at least, even if you work on your own pieces.

Writing: "Take a horrible, hard-to-domesticate animal and then create a culture in which somebody has figured out how to domesticate these beasties."

This is a pure writing brief this week. This can be taken from the standpoint of a story, or if you want to try something more in depth for a world builder's view then go ahead. Remember to cover the actual domestication aspect - It's fine to have a world filled with fire breathing dragons which people ride around on, but we want to know why they're able to ride the dragons, rather than get eaten.

Game Design: Consider leveling and progression in Massively Multiplayer Games (MMOs).

What kind of leveling structures are there? What advantages does a level based system like World of Warcraft's have over a skill based system like EVE - and Vice Versa? You can cover this topic as in depth as you like, or as wide branching. This isn't limited purely to RPGs. You can consider MMOFPSs, or Browser Based Strategy Games if you like - the Multiplayer Aspect must play a part however. Leveling in Solo Games is different from that in Multiplayer.

Programming: Create a version of Pong Game.

Since our last challenge centered around the Text Based Adventure, this week we're considering another classic game; Pong. The idea is simply to try and recreate (or improve) a version of the game. Your game must include at least 2 Player Versus mode; two sets of controls, one for each paddle. If you like you can include a 1 Player vs Computer option. This project will involve collision detection, player input, randomization. When submitting please include a compiled version which is easily accessible (ideally a standalone exe). If we can't play it, it'll be tough to judge.

Artist: A Character with a missing body part.

This is a free for all character design, however the only stipulation is that they must be missing a body part. This could mean one handed, one legged, one eyed - anything. You could draw a 4 armed alien that happens to be missing one arm if you like, but the body part has to be noticeably absent otherwise the piece will fail the criteria. Other than this, just go nuts.

Modelling: A character design, but a non-humanoid predator.

I hope this is clear enough - not walking around on two legs with two arms, and it'll have to prey on something. Think leopards/raptors, not cows. Again, like the other creative pieces, keep to the brief but go wild with your ideas.

Level Design: Design a level Team CTF (Capture the Flag) level for a 1st/3rd person shooter, 2-4 players per team.

Something different to our last challenge as the writing aspect wasn't met with much praise. This week we're going to ask you to go ahead and design a level for a game. We haven't specified a game, but you get the idea - a typical shooter. This'll be a CTF map, for teams of 2-4 players per side - small-medium map. Remember to consider weapon placement, balance, and game flow. How you design is up to you. You can do a mockup in 3D if you like, or just do a series of 2D diagrams.

Good luck guys. Remember the Deadline is 16th February at 6PM CST.
PyroDragn

Profession:: Project Designer

Re: Challenge Week #2 is up!

Postby MrP3rf3ct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 am

I'm happy to say I should have a decent submission this go around. I sketched up a creature and I have 2 days to paint it on my laptop. Pretty happy!
MrP3rf3ct

Profession:: Concept Artist

Re: Challenge Week #2 is up!

Postby PyroDragn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:05 am

Apologies for the late response folks, but I've been ill this weekend and doing very little besides trying to relax and not die. I'll get around to doing writeups and comments early this week - hopefully tonight, but don't want to make any promises I might not keep.
PyroDragn

Profession:: Project Designer

Return to Challenge Week #2