Russ-Programmer-Week1 Project Submission

Russ-Programmer-Week1 Project Submission

Postby russ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

I've finally got mine to a state where it works, however, there is only one verb and one adjective. Also, though there is a capability to move around rooms, I never got around to coding it, but it's quite easy to add in. I may work on this further, but I'm out of time now and have to study for several tests. If I can study in time, I'll fix up everything and add more functionality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russ

Profession:: Programmer

Re: Russ-Programmer-Week1 Project Submission

Postby Landshark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Hey, somewhat noob question for you. I realize that's coded in Java, but did you create it in a text editor or something else?
-Landshark (Scott)
Programmer

Will answer to "Grey Bush" on occasion.
Landshark

Postby russ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

I used Java Swing and used created it in a JTextArea which I set to uneditable with setEditable(false); (or something like that) Because Swing was messing with me, I created three frames for the display, the typing bar, and enter button, and added each element to each. Display was a JTextArea, typing bar was a JTextField, and enter button was a JButton. I set the frames to undecorated. This is NOT an example of good Swing! Do NOT use it! I just had to do it because I was running out of time and the JTextArea/JTextFields's were being annoying and resizing to the size of the frame and not their set sizes.
russ

Postby russ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Landshark wrote:Hey, somewhat noob question for you. I realize that's coded in Java, but did you create it in a text editor or something else?

Oh! Sorry, I wasn't fully awake. I though you were referring to the program and what the graphics were made in, not where I wrote the code. No I didn't use a text editor, I used Eclipse, and IDE.
russ

Postby russ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 am

Well, I began a editing process and found that the original idea the engine was based on doesn't really fit the implementation and will require a total re-write for the two to fit. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get that done in one day.
russ

Postby alhadrian » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 pm

So.. can you run it ? and if so how ? I see no exe.
alhadrian

Postby russ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:07 am

Oh, you need Java to run it. You can run it through the command line, but really, there is nothing to see. The only interesting bit is the source code, because I experimented with a totally object oriented approach rather than a procedural approach. Frankly, it didn't really work.
russ

Return to Community Projects/Competitions