Forum Style/Theme

Re: Forum Style/Theme

Postby PyroDragn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 am

We could probably make the game playing forum work, if we made it clear that it was not the main purpose of these forums.

Tyler and I covered this exact thing last night and came to the same conclusion. GD4B is, and will be, a game development community. There is the possibility of having a gaming community aspect to it on the side, but game development is the main purpose and it will remain so.

With regards to the "You are making games, not playing games." There are two caveats to this I think, the first, most obvious one, is that all work and no play is just asking for punishment. Taking a break from development to relax and have fun is always useful. Playing games, in this case, is no different than stopping to watch a movie - it's just an enjoyable way to unwind.

The second point is that, if done right, playing games - and the subsequent discussion - can help with development. Deconstructing a game, trying to figure out what they did right, or wrong, or why they made the choices they did can still be a useful (and not always straightforward) part of game development. There is after all a reason that QA (quality assurance) testing is a field in game development. You can learn from playing games, if you play games in order to learn.

To be clear though, this isn't going to be a gaming community that also does game development. First and foremost it'll remain a Game Development community.
PyroDragn

Profession:: Project Designer

Postby russ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am

Alright, thanks PyroDragn.
russ

Profession:: Programmer

Postby Tyler (TJ) » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Exactly the point Pyro and I were discussing russ. We would have two different areas within the same website for each. If you wanted to be part of one and not the other that is perfectly fine. I thought it would be a cool idea to have both options available for different types of people. Or maybe just have a small area to talk about games (i.e. what game(s) you are currently playing, what styles you prefer, which ones were nicely made, etc.). Yea I do believe you should not get confused when creating a game (on whether or not you want to be creating one or playing one), but that doesn't mean you are going to be working on a project all day every day and never game every once in awhile. Most game developers are gamers themselves (hence why we have such passion towards the field) and regardless of my career I will continue to game when I can. Thanks for commenting russ!
Tyler (TJ)

Profession:: Programmer

Postby samreinod » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

You are even to stupid to spam right? Dude, you need serious help.
samreinod

Profession:: Level Designer

Previous

Return to Features